Saturday 26 April 2014

More on Breastfeeding my Preemie

"Each latch took an average of 20 minutes to achieve. I've never worked so hard in my life!"

These sentences really resonated with me! I read them on birthing and breastfeeding, where an amazing mom shows us that breastfeeding is possible even in the face of seemingly insurmountable difficulties! I really encourage you to go read her story, it is really touching, and her sweetheart, born with arhinia, is so darn cute!

I used to tell my lactation consultant that breastfeeding Miss. V felt like a wrestling match! How very far we have come from those early hospital days!

After 22 days of tube feeding and lots and lots of kangaroo time, she finally had her first introduction to breastfeeding at 32 weeks. It would mostly consist of opening and closing her mouth haphazardly and not much else! The following days would bring a few suckles, but nothing that could be considered nutritive. It was hard to believe that her teeny tiny mouth would even fit over my nipple, let alone be nourished by it!

One month later at 36 weeks, miss V would finally have a full meal at the breast. Its funny, because when she had started being put at the breast, she was so great at rooting and starting using the pacifier at such a young age, I thought fir sure she would be breastfeeding before what all the nurses predicted (34-38weeks). The progress at the time seemed painful slow at the time. Looking back now I see she actually progressed relatively quickly!

Currently, while there remain the occasional chocking episodes (my darn breastmilk flow is still too high), overall, we have lovely, peaceful and quite nutritive nursing sessions! Miss V's weight is still a bit of an issue, so we are supplementing once a day with enriched breastmilk, but otherwise I really can't complain. In fact, there is no way I would have believed when I first started trying to breastfeed her that we would one day get to a point where it can be relaxing!

Just look at how far she has come:



So preemie moms who are just starting the great breastfeeding wrestling tournament, take solace in knowing that sometimes, even when it feels unlikely, you too can be successful!

Xo
C

No comments:

Post a Comment